Some re-organisation this week. The spare overhead cupboards are now in the temporary kitchen and I’ve decided I like them. I had planned not to have any overhead cupboards in the real kitchen but the end wall above the kitchen table is still up for grabs and it might be fun to do something there. I’m having thoughts about putting the kitchen back together after 4 years.
The snug now has a posh bookcase so I can pretend I’m intellectual. I want to see how posh and fancy I can get it before I actually decorate. Maybe if I get a woodburner it’ll look better than the dangly flue in the fireplace.
The cat has settled in very quickly. 🙂
Upstairs someone had papered over woodchip wallpaper with textured wallpaper. That worked out just as well as you might expect. I’m getting ready for new electrics so it is useful to figure out what the walls are made of.
The wallpaper came off very easily, but the shiny green stuff is waterproof paint over lining paper and is proving more challenging to remove.
Some of the green stuff fell off anyway and it’s what’s underneath that is interesting. I think the wall was skimmed with gypsum in 1921. It’s a bit of a shame as I had been hoping to find evidence of an earlier layout. But I maybe found the original 1920s wallpaper! It’s very dark. It must have been gloomy up there.
I bought a Zinsser scoring tool and some DIF concentrate. They actually work! The green stuff is gone from the stairs and the plaster underneath is well preserved having been protected by a thick cushion of wallpaper.
Modern practice would be to paint onto the plaster but I can’t do that – it’s 100 years old and perfectly preserved and it would not be possible to remove nasty modern paint from plaster. I’ll put lining paper on. Then use a nice paint.
I had just cleaned the whole house and stripping the stairs made a huge mess again.
And I found more damp. The salts at the bottom of the plaster are particularly impressive being more than 1m above ground level. I should imagine the wall has no damp course, and the walls had been waterproofed on both sides in the usual misguided way. I’ll let the wall breathe so it can dry out.
There is still a bit to do but it’s fun to look at the picture arithmetic.
Started with this:
Ended up with this. Much nicer already 🙂
I’m planning to retain the mock tudor on the ceiling in the background but might try to soften it by removing the black paint and going back to the earlier wood finish.
I’ve been making a mess stripping wallpaper. The wallpaper had been painted with a gloss or vinyl paint which defeated the steamer. I ended up using a 5 inch bladed scraper to take the top layer of the wallpaper off, then the steamer and a paint scraper to remove the remains. The whole room should be stripped in 3 days.
The steamer can also remove the textured paint underneath, but that is slow work and a scabbler and another skim coat will be quicker (there is no asbestos – it’s a thin emulsion textured coating).
Guess what – I found some damp! The impermeable paint had trapped water coming through from underfloor in the adjacent rooms which have a higher ground level. It seems to be drying out now the wallpaper has been removed so a nice breathable clay paint should allow the wall to find a new equilibrium and avoid damp without any real effort on my part.